This post might contain affiliate links. I get paid a small commission (at no extra cost for you) if any sales are made through it but I only recommend products that I truly believe in! Please check my disclosure policy to learn more.
We all love eating potatoes in many forms, but have you ever tried using potato for face?
Yes, potatoes are great for the skin and help to get the glowing, problem-free skin we all secretly desire.
Don’t wait and grab this item immediately which is available all year long at low costs, and helps maintain skin health.
There are various ways in which you can use potato for face –
- For skin lightening
- As an exfoliating toner
- As a face cleanser
- Face pack for oily skin
- Face pack for dry skin
- Face pack for anti-aging
- For Reducing Acne And Dark Spots
- For Reducing Pimples
Read more to learn how to use potatoes for achieving each of these results.
Can We Use Potato Juice For Face Daily?
Yes, you can use potatoes on the face daily. Just use raw potato juice as a cleanser to get rid of dark spots, acne, and any other impurities on the skin. Mix it with other natural ingredients to form a pack and use it every 2-3 days.
What Are The Various Potato Benefits For Face?
- Potato juice contains essential vitamins and minerals that help in clearing the skin.
- Potato juice has skin bleaching properties that fade away blemishes and acne marks.
- The vitamins present in potatoes help in reducing the age spots and pigmentation, build collagen and improve skin health.
- The starch present in potato helps in imparting a natural glow to the skin and reducing hyperpigmentation.
- Potato helps in skin lightening.
- Potato gently exfoliates the skin and removes dead skin cells that cause acne and breakouts.
Side Effects Of Using Potato For Face
There is not enough scientific research to prove that potatoes are completely safe for your face. Besides, for some people, there may be an allergic reaction owing to a latex allergy found in some adults.
If you have a latex allergy, avoid using raw potato for face. Even if you don’t have any known allergies, be sure to do a patch test first.
This involves applying a small amount of potato juice onto the inside of your elbow and waiting for at least 24 to 48 hours to see if any allergic reactions occur.
1. Using Potato For Skin Lightening
Potatoes are rich in lectins and niacinamide. They are effective in interrupting the transfer of melanosomes(specialized pigment-containing organelle), which is the main reason why you can use potatoes to lighten skin.
Potato juice contains a host of nutrients, including Vitamins B and C, potassium, calcium, iron, phosphorus, and copper. Since potato juice is so nutrient-dense, it offers a wide range of benefits for the skin and helps in permanent skin lightening.
The vitamins present in potatoes help to reduce premature aging of the face and thereby reduce the age spots and pigmentation. Vitamin C present in potatoes helps build collagen and improves collagen health.
The starch present in potato reduces pigmentation and enhances your natural glow. You can use potatoes for skin lightening and for clearing hyperpigmentation and blemishes.
Now let’s see how to use a potato to lighten skin –
Potato Facial Bleach
This is a great remedy using potatoes for skin lightening.
This 15-minute potato facial bleach formula gives instant results. It uses potato juice and treats your dark spots, acne scars, pimples, marks.
This potato bleach is completely natural and has no side effects at all.
Using this potato bleach at home regularly will help remove any suntan and your skin will appear bright and radiant instantly.
Let’s go ahead and see how to prepare this magical potato bleach for the face.
- At first, peel off the potato skin and cut the potato into smaller pieces.
- Now blend potato pieces with some rose water.
- If your skin is oily, then add few drops of lemon juice into the paste. If your skin is dry, add 1 tablespoon of honey into this paste.
- Mix all the ingredients to form a paste.
- Apply this potato paste on your face and leave it on for 15 minutes. You might feel a slight tingling sensation on applying this paste, but that is perfectly normal. It just means that the bleach is doing its job.
- Wash your face after 15 minutes.
- For better results, apply this 2-3 times a week.
Honey, Lemon & Potato Juice To Lighten Skin
Potato juice is excellent for skin lightening. Potato has mild bleaching properties that help reduce melanin production, reduces hyperpigmentation, and lightens the skin tone.
Potato has Vitamin C which boosts collagen production and helps in maintaining skin elasticity.It also has catecholase enzymes that help reduce dark spots and acne scars.
Let’s see how to prepare this recipe.
- Grate some potato and take out its juice into a small bowl.
- Take 1 1/2 tablespoon honey and add 1 1/2 tablespoon potato juice into it.
- Add the juice of 1/2 a lemon into this mixture.
- Mix all the ingredients well. It will have a gel-like consistency.
- Apply this potato gel to your face. Honey, lemon, and potato are all great ingredients for your skin. Lemon juice in this mixture helps in getting rid of all the dead skin cells. Honey helps in getting glowing skin. Potato helps in skin lightening.
- Gently massage the potato gel on your face in a circular motion. It helps in the lightening of lips too, so you can apply this gel on your lips as well.
- Keep massaging for 10 minutes and after that leave it on your face for 5 minutes.
- Wash it off with normal water.
You can use this remedy 2-3 times a week. This potato gel actually gives instant results for the face. Do try it out.
Potato On Face Overnight
Applying potato on face overnight can help in achieving glowing skin. Let’s see how you can use a potato face mask overnight for radiant skin.
- Peel one potato and cut it into smaller pieces.
- Blend the potato pieces in a blender to form a paste.
- Strain the juice from this paste into a bowl.
- Add 2 teaspoons of raw milk into the potato juice.
- Add 1/4 teaspoon of wild turmeric into this mixture.
- Mix all the ingredients well.
- Before going to bed, wash your face with warm water.
- Apply this mixture on your face and neck with the help of a cotton pad. Use generously on any dark spots, acne, or pigmentation.
The lactic acid present in milk naturally lightens the skin. Wild turmeric is also very helpful in skin lightening. It helps in removing any kind of marks from our faces.
- Leave the potato face mask on your face for the entire night.
- Wash it off with cold water in the morning.
You can use this remedy daily without worrying about any side effects. It is very light on the skin and suits all skin types. You can also store this potato face mask overnight in a refrigerator in the form of ice cubes.
Potato Face Pack For Skin Lightening
This face mask can help clear acne and reduce dark spots as well. Using potato on face overnight can help you get a glowing complexion in no time.
Let’s see how to prepare a potato face pack for skin lightening.
- Take some sandalwood powder or even fuller’s earth.
- Mix this powder with potato juice in a clean bowl, to form a thick paste.
- Apply this mixture as a face mask all over your face.
- Leave it on for 8-10 minutes.
- Wash it off with plain water.
- Use this pack once a week for great results.
Potato Cream For Skin Lightening
We already know the benefits of potato for skin lightening by now.
Rice water is known for lightening skin naturally. Rice contains vitamins that help to reduce dark skin and pigmentation, minerals that tighten the skin’s open pores, and amino acids which are essential for beautiful skin. It also contains ferulic acid, a powerful anti-oxidant.
When mixed together, potato and rice cream work best for naturally lightening the skin tone.
Let’s see how to make this cream.
- Use 2-3 spoons full of plain white rice.
- Wash the rice with water to remove any dirt or dust.
- Keep the rice soaked in water for 15-20 minutes.
- Peel off the potato and cut it into small cubes.
- Take a cooker and add the potato cubes and rice into it.
- Add some water and put the mixture on medium flame.
- It will take 15-20 minutes for the mixture to cook completely.
- Put off the flame and leave the mixture to cool down for some time.
- Strain the mixture in slightly warmer conditions with the help of a strainer.
- Add 2 Vitamin E capsules into this mixture.
- Add 1 full tablespoon of extra virgin coconut oil.
- Add 1 tablespoon of almond oil into this mixture.
- Add some lemon essential oil to the mixture. This will help to brighten the skin.
- Mix all the ingredients well.
- Use this potato cream anytime during the day after applying your favorite toner and/or moisturizer.
I have also listed some other natural ways to get glowing skin in one of my posts.
2. Using Potato As An Exfoliating Toner
Take a grated potato and add 2 tbsp of lemon juice to it. Apply all over your face avoiding the eyes, and let it rest for 30 minutes. You will notice that this toner helps to reduce puffiness, removes pigmentation, and also acts as a good exfoliator.
3. Using Potato As A Face Cleanser
Blend pieces of one potato and one cucumber in a blender for 20 seconds. Add a tsp each of baking soda and water to prepare a homemade cleanser.
4. Using Potato For Oily Skin
Peel a potato and finely grate it. Add some rose water and lemon juice to the mixture and apply all over your face. Let it sit for 15 minutes and wash it off with normal water. This face mask is great for oily skin.
5. Using Potato For Dry Skin
Peel a potato and finely grate it. Add some rose water and honey to the mixture and apply all over your face. Let it sit for 15 minutes and wash it off with normal water. This face mask is great for dry skin.
6. Using Potato For Anti-Aging
Add 1 tbsp of yogurt to the grated potato and apply all over your face. Leave it on for 30 minutes and rinse thoroughly.
7. Using Potato For Reducing Acne Scars And Dark Spots
Acne is caused by skin inflammation, which may be influenced by cytokines.
Does potato help with acne? Yes. Potato CAN help get rid of acne scars and dark spots. It can be used as a toner or blend along with any of your face masks, or freeze it to ice cubes and use it on your skin once it sets. Let us see how exactly is potato so useful.
- Potato juice contains a lot of nutrients, including Vitamin B & C, potassium, calcium, iron, phosphorus, and copper. Since potato juice is so nutrient-dense, it offers a wide range of benefits for the skin. One of those benefits includes making your skin clear and blemish-free.
- The peels of potato and potato juice have skin bleaching properties that make the acne scars, spots, and blemishes fade away.
- The vitamins present in potatoes help to reduce premature aging of the face and thereby reduce the age spots and pigmentation. Vitamin C present in potatoes helps build collagen and improves skin health.
- The starch present in potato reduces pigmentation and enhances your natural glow.
- Potato slows down the aging process and moisturizes your skin to prevent the formation of dark spots or acne scars.
- Potato is a natural skin lightening agent and helps in clearing hyperpigmentation and blemishes.
- Potato helps exfoliate skin and remove dead skin cells.
How To Use Potato For Acne
Acne is caused by clogged pores, which is a result of the overproduction of sebum and the presence of bacteria. The aim is to kill these bacteria and remove them from the face.
Potato can be used in a variety of ways to do this. Let’s see how to use potatoes for acne.
Method 1: Potato Slices
Let’s see how you can use a potato slice on the face for acne scars.
First, you will need a potato. Peel the potato and cut it into circular pieces.
Now rub this potato slice on your face wherever you have dark spots or acne scars. Continue this for 5-10 min, and then wash your face. The acid present in the potato will work as a mild antibacterial agent that will help your body to kill the acne-causing bacteria.
Potato is very effective in removing dark spots, acne, pigmentation, and other skin problems. It is also a great bleaching agent that makes your skin fair and gives you younger-looking skin.
Now if you have dark circles under your eyes – take two potato slices, and place them on your eyes for 15-20 min. You can expect to see good results by doing this daily for a week.
Method 2: Potato Lemon Face Mask
For the second method, you will have to prepare a potato face mask for acne scars.
First, you will need to grind a potato in a mixer. Do not use any water while doing this. Take out the potato juice by straining it. Now squeeze half a lemon into the potato juice.
Dip a cotton pad into this mixture and apply it to your face. Potato juice removes blemishes and makes your skin fairer. It also removes wrinkles and is very effective in the removal of dark spots.
By using this potato face mask for acne scars, you can completely remove your acne spots from your face and also achieve clear and glowing skin.
How To Use Potato For Dark Spots On Face
Dark spots can be so annoying. They make our skin appear dull and old.
What exactly are dark spots? Dark spots are patches of skin that are dark because of more production than usual of a pigment called melanin that is responsible for giving skin its color.
What are the causes of dark spots? Dark spots can occur because of a variety of reasons, like overexposure to sunlight, pregnancy, hormonal imbalance, side effects of medicines, vitamin deficiencies, etc.
But, fret not! We have got an easy remedy to help – the potato. Yes, potato! Potatoes do an excellent job of removing dark spots. They are full of natural bleaching agents that work effectively on dark spots as well as hyperpigmentation.
Let’s see how we can use potatoes for dark spots by preparing an easy face pack.
- Take 1 fresh potato.
- Peel its skin.
- Cut it into small cubes.
- Crush the potato to make a smooth paste.
- Take 2 tablespoons of potato paste and add 1 tablespoon of fuller’s earth (multani mitti).
- Add 1/2 tablespoon of rose water.
- Mix all the ingredients well.
- Apply this face pack on your face and neck.
- Leave it on for 10-15 minutes.
- Wash it off with cold water.
This potato face pack can help eliminate dark spots. You can also use this pack for removing blemishes and pimples.
This potato face mask for dark spots also works well for oily skin and removes impurities from the skin.
8. Using Potato To Remove Pimples
Yes, potatoes can be used for pimple marks to some extent, but you might not get immediate results by just using potatoes. It’s best to use a salicylic acid-based cleanser daily to get effective results.
How To Use Potato For Pigmentation
Pigmentation occurs when dark spots are formed on the skin, giving it a dull appearance. To get rid of these stubborn pigmentation spots, we often resort to using high-end BB creams, concealers, etc.
Potatoes can be used as an anti-pigmentation agent. Potatoes work really well on pigmented areas and blemishes.
Let’s see how to prepare a simple potato and rice face pack for pigmentation.
- 1 teaspoon potato juice.
- 1 teaspoon rice flour.
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice (optional).
- 1 teaspoon honey.
Let us see now how to use this potato mask for pigmentation.
- Mix all the ingredients to form a thick paste.
- Apply it on your face and neck and leave it to dry.
- Use water to scrub the dry face pack gently. Clean your face thoroughly in circular motions.
Why This Works?
Potato juice helps in removing tan and acne spots. Rice flour scrubs the dead skin cells, leaving it glowing and soft. Lemon juice helps in tightening the pores, and, honey keeps the skin moisturized.
Dilute the lemon juice if you have super sensitive skin as it might cause skin irritation.
Alternative Home Remedies For Skin Lightening And Acne
Potato is just one of the natural ingredients that can help treat acne. There are some other home remedies that are proven to improve acne scars –
- lemon juice
- tea tree oil
- green tea
There are many benefits of using potato for face. But, it sure can come with some side effects. Make sure you patch test before using it on your entire face.
We discussed the many ways to use potatoes for skin lightening, acne, dark spots, and pigmentation.
We also listed some alternate home remedies for skin lightening and acne. Give these natural methods a try. There is not much to lose here.
Tried using potato for the face? Did it help? Do let me know in the comments section below 🙂