This post might contain affiliate links. I get paid a small commission (at no extra cost for you) if any sales are made through it but I only recommend products that I truly believe in! Please check my disclosure policy to learn more.
We all love eating potatoes in many forms, but have you ever tried using potato on the face?
Yes, potatoes are great for the skin and help to get the glowing, problem-free skin we all secretly desire. Don’t wait and grab this item immediately which is available all year long at low costs, and helps maintain skin health.
In this post, let us see how to use potato for the face.
Don't get stressed by the huge range of beauty products, instead find the right skin care routine for your skin type, age and ethnicity. Learn more about the course that helped me take care of my skin all year round, no matter the weather.
Can We Apply Potato On Face Daily?
Yes, you can use potatoes on the face daily. Just use raw potato juice as a cleanser to get rid of dark spots, acne, and any other impurities on the skin. Mix it with other natural ingredients to form a pack and use every 2-3 days.
What Are The Benefits Of Using Potato On Face?
• Potato juice contains essential vitamins and minerals that help in clearing the skin.
• Potato juice has skin bleaching properties that fade away blemishes and acne marks.
• The vitamins present in potato help in reducing the age spots and pigmentation, build collagen and improve skin health.
• The starch present in potato helps in imparting a natural glow to the skin and reducing hyperpigmentation.
• Potato helps in skin lightening.
• Potato gently exfoliates the skin and removes dead skin cells that cause acne and breakouts.
Side Effects Of Using Potato On Face
There is not enough scientific research to prove that potatoes are completely safe for your face. Besides, for some people, there may be an allergic reaction owing to a latex allergy found in some adults.
If you have a latex allergy, avoid using raw potato on your face. Even if you don’t have any known allergies, be sure to do a patch test first.
This involves applying a small amount of potato juice onto the inside of your elbow and waiting for at least 24 to 48 hours to see if any allergic reactions occur.
How To Use Potato For Skin Lightening?
Potatoes are rich in lectins and niacinamide. They are effective in interrupting the transfer of melanosomes (specialized pigment-containing organelle), which is the main reason why you can use potatoes to lighten skin.
Potato juice contains a host of nutrients, including Vitamins B and C, potassium, calcium, iron, phosphorus, and copper. Since potato juice is so nutrient-dense, it offers a wide range of benefits for the skin and helps in permanent skin lightening.
The vitamins present in potato help to reduce premature aging of the face and thereby reduce the age spots and pigmentation. Vitamin C present in potatoes helps build collagen and improves collagen health.
The starch present in potato reduces pigmentation and enhances your natural glow. You can use potato for skin lightening and for clearing hyperpigmentation and blemishes.
Now let’s see how to use a potato to lighten skin –
1. Potato Facial Bleach
This is a great remedy using potatoes for skin lightening.
This 15-minute potato facial bleach formula gives instant results. It uses potato juice and treats your dark spots, acne scars, pimples, marks.
This potato bleach is completely natural and has no side effects at all.
Let’s go ahead and see how to prepare this magical potato bleach for the face.
1. At first, peel off the potato skin and cut the potato into smaller pieces.
2. Now blend potato pieces with some rose water.
3. If your skin is oily, then add few drops of lemon juice into the paste. If your skin is dry, add 1 tablespoon honey into this paste.
4. Mix all the ingredients to form a paste.
5. Apply this potato paste on your face and leave on for 15 minutes. You might feel a slight tingling sensation on applying this paste, but that is perfectly normal. It just means that the bleach is doing its job.
6. Wash your face after 15 minutes.
7. For better results, apply this 2-3 times a week.
2. Honey, Lemon & Potato Juice To Lighten Skin
Potato juice is excellent for skin lightening. Potato has mild bleaching properties that help reduce melanin production, reduces hyperpigmentation, and lightens the skin tone.
Potato has Vitamin C which boosts collagen production and helps in maintaining skin elasticity. It also has catecholase enzymes that help reduce dark spots and acne scars.
Let’s see how to prepare this recipe.
1. Grate some potato and take out its juice into a small bowl.
2. Take 1 1/2 tablespoon honey and add 1 1/2 tablespoon potato juice into it.
3. Add the juice of 1/2 a lemon into this mixture.
4. Mix all the ingredients well. It will have a gel-like consistency.
5. Apply this potato gel on your face. Honey, lemon, and potato are all great ingredients for your skin. Lemon juice in this mixture helps in getting rid of all the dead skin cells. Honey helps in getting a glowing skin. Potato helps in skin lightening.
6. Gently massage the potato gel on your face in a circular motion. It helps in lightening of lips too, so you can apply this gel on your lips as well.
7. Keep massaging for 10 minutes and after that leave it on your face for 5 minutes.
8. Wash it off with normal water.
You can use this remedy 2-3 times a week. This potato gel actually gives instant results for the face. Do try it out.
3. Overnight Face Mask To Lighten Skin With Potatoes
Applying raw potato juice on your face overnight can help in achieving glowing skin. Let’s see how you can use a potato face mask overnight for radiant skin.
1. Peel one potato and cut it into smaller pieces.
2. Blend the potato pieces in a blender to form a paste.
3. Strain the juice from this paste into a bowl.
4. Add 2 teaspoons of raw milk into the potato juice.
5. Add 1/4 teaspoon of wild turmeric into this mixture.
6. Mix all the ingredients well.
7. Before going to bed, wash your face with warm water.
8. Apply this mixture on your face and neck with the help of a cotton pad. Use generously on any dark spots, acne, or pigmentation.
9. Leave the potato face mask on your face for the entire night.
10. Wash it off with cold water in the morning.
You can use this remedy daily without worrying about any side effects. It is very light on the skin and suits all skin types. You can also store this potato face mask overnight in a refrigerator in the form of ice cubes.
4. Potato Face Pack For Skin Lightening
This face mask can help clear acne and reduce dark spots as well. Using potato on face overnight can help you get a glowing complexion in no time.
Let’s see how to prepare a potato face pack for skin lightening.
2. Mix this powder with potato juice in a clean bowl, to form a thick paste.
3. Apply this mixture as a face mask all over your face.
4. Leave it on for 8-10 minutes.
5. Wash it off with plain water.
6. Use this pack once a week for great results.
Here are some more potato face pack recipes for glowing skin.
5. Potato Cream For Skin Lightening
We already know the benefits of potato for skin lightening by now.
Rice water is known for lightening skin naturally. Rice contains vitamins that help to reduce dark skin and pigmentation, minerals which tighten the skin’s open pores, and amino acids which are essential for beautiful skin. It also contains ferulic acid, a powerful anti-oxidant.
When mixed together, potato and rice cream work best for naturally lightening the skin tone.
Let’s see how to make this cream.
1. Use 2-3 spoons full of plain white rice.
2. Wash the rice with water to remove any dirt or dust.
3. Keep the rice soaked in water for 15-20 minutes.
4. Peel off the potato and cut into small cubes.
5. Take a cooker and add the potato cubes and rice into it.
6. Add some water and put the mixture on medium flame.
7. It will take 15-20 minutes for the mixture to cook completely.
8. Put off the flame and leave the mixture to cool down for some time.
9. Strain the mixture in slightly warmer conditions with the help of a strainer.
10. Add 2 Vitamin E capsules into this mixture.
11. Add 1 full tablespoon of extra virgin coconut oil.
12. Add 1 tablespoon of almond oil into this mixture.
13. Add some lemon essential oil in the mixture. This will help to brighten the skin.
14. Mix all the ingredients well.
15. Use this potato cream anytime during the day after applying your favorite toner and/or moisturizer.
Here are 17 other ways to use potatoes as a beauty product.
How To Use Potatoes For Acne, Dark Spots, And Pigmentation
Potato helps in reducing acne scars and dark spots in many ways.
Potato can be used as a toner or used as one of the ingredients in the face masks.
Read my article on how to use potato for acne, dark spots and pigmentation, for more homemade recipes using potato for the face.
Alternate Home Remedies For Skin Lightening And Acne
If you’re looking for alternate home remedies for skin lightening and acne, you can consider
tea tree oil
Related Read: How To Make Skin Glow Naturally At Home
There are many benefits of using potato for the face. But, it sure can come with some side effects. Make sure you patch test before using on your entire face.
We discussed the many ways to use potatoes for skin lightening, acne, dark spots, and pigmentation. We also listed some alternate home remedies for skin lightening and acne. Give these natural methods a try. There is not much to lose here.
Tried using potato for the face? Did it help? Do let me know in the comments section below 🙂