This post might contain affiliate links. I get paid a small commission (at no extra cost for you) if any sales are made through it but I only recommend products that I truly believe in! Please check my disclosure policy to learn more.
I love talking about cleansing oils and cleansing balms because they are a really confusing topic.
You may have heard these get suggested a lot in replacement of makeup wipes or as a really good way to remove makeup. But are they a cleanser? Do you use them by themselves or do you use them with other products? How long are you supposed to leave them on your face? Is a cleansing balm better than a cleansing oil? How does this work?
Calm down. It’s okay. I got you. I’m gonna teach you all you need to know about how to oil cleanse so you can walk away from this post and start bullying your friends and family into using the cleansing oil or cleansing balm.
What Is A Cleansing Oil Or A Cleansing Balm?
The cleansing oils and balms are essentially the same but in different formats. The cleansing oils and balms are liquids and physical forms respectively of the same cleansing oils.
Now, the cleansing balm is very different from a cleansing oil, but once it is applied to the skin, it becomes almost the same thing.
Now some of the ingredients obviously differ in character to form one solid and to form one liquid, but they fundamentally do the same thing; they are employed on the surface of the skin for the purpose of dissolving away the impurities of the atmosphere, and of preventing the accumulation of dirt, and of protecting the skin from the effects of the rays of the sun.
The main benefit of using a cleansing oil is that it helps to keep your skin soft and supple.
A good cleanser is one of the most important parts of your skincare routine. Your skin will thank you for it, as it needs a good cleansing every now and then to keep it clean and fresh. The best way to do this is by using a good quality oil-based cleanser.
Why Is It Important To Remove Makeup From Skin?
Makeup can make your skin look beautiful, but it can also make it more difficult for your skincare products to do their job. If you keep your makeup on too long, your skin will become dry and itchy. To keep your skin looking its best, keep your makeup on for a short time.
Bacteria can build up on the skin, which is why it is important to keep the skin clean. To prevent this, you need to remove your makeup.
If you don’t remove your makeup properly, your skincare will not work as well.
How Does Cleansing Balm And Cleansing Oil Help In Removing Makeup?
There’s no need to use harsh soaps and shampoos on your face when you’re using a good quality facial cleanser. A good facial cleanser will leave your skin feeling clean and fresh. You should always use a good quality facial cleanser on a daily basis.
Sometimes it’s really hard to get rid of it with just a cleanse, isn’t it?
Even though many products claim to be a “cleanser” or “makeup remover,” I don’t think that’s true for all of them. Some of the best cleansers on the market can remove even the toughest makeup.
Cleansing oils and balms are excellent for removing makeup and sunscreen from the face.
Cleansing oil and a cleansing balm are not the same as a cleanser. The cleansing oil is a type of oil that is used to cleanse the skin.
The importance of using a good oil cleanser is that it easily breaks down any extra oil that may be on the surface of your skin so that you can use makeup, sunscreen, or the excess oil that your skin produces by using oil.
It will help to properly break it all down and move it around so that you can follow up with a water cleanser afterward to remove everything.
Think about what happens when you put oil in water. You know how they separate using solely a water-based cleanser. To try and remove all that oil is not going to be as effective as first going in with an oil cleanser and then following up with a water cleanser.
You should always use a good quality cleansing oil before any other type of cleanser. A good quality cleansing oil is the best way to get rid of makeup and dirt.
Please don’t leave a cleansing oil or cleansing balm on your face without washing it off afterward because honey, it will speed up your breakouts.
So now that you know what they do. Here’s how to use one.
Can Oil Cleansing Be Used For Oily Skin?
There are many different types of cleansing oils available on the market, some of which can clog the pores of those with oily skin. If you have oily skin, you should look for a cleansing oil that is non-comedogenic.
How To Use A Cleansing Oil Or Cleansing Balm
1. Do not use water to cleanse your skin before you use cleansing oil. Cleansing oils and water do not mix well, and the result can be a greasy, clogged face.
2. Take a nickel-sized amount of a cleansing oil or cleansing balm, and spread it over your fingers.
3. Start by gently massaging it into every part of your skin.
4. It is important that you apply enough pressure to get the job done. This is one of my favorite parts of my skincare routine because it is a very relaxing and meditative time. I spread this on my face for a few minutes, and it makes my skin feel so soft and smooth.
Remember–don’t miss a spot because you don’t want to get dirt or makeup on it.
5. Rinse your hands, and then wash your face with clean water.
It means that the oil will react with the water and make it easier for you to get rid of it. For about 30 seconds, you need to get rid of all the oil.
If you do not thoroughly cleanse your face with water after using the oil, it can lead to clogged pores, which can lead to acne.
6. Once you’ve rinsed your face, use a mild, water-based cleanser to wash away dirt and makeup.
While these oils are amazing, if you leave them on your skin for a long period of time, they could clog your pores. They’re great for removing makeup and dirt but think about it – when you add oil to your face and you’re mixing it around with all that makeup and dirt you technically aren’t removing the makeup and dirt from your skin. It’s still sitting on there.
So if you do not use a water-based cleanser afterward to remove the dirt from your pores, it will remain on your skin and lead to further breakouts. It should be removed as soon as possible.
Like I said before, it should take about one to two minutes you massaging it into your skin before you rinse it off. If you are leaving it on your skin for like 30 minutes or an hour again that means it has more time to settle in your pores which could make it a lot more difficult to remove.
There’s no reason to keep it on your skin for a long period of time.
Don’t double cleanse with a cleansing oil or cleansing balm. Here’s what I mean. Double cleansing is exactly what I was talking about before going in first with the cleansing oil or cleansing balm and then following up with a water-based cleanser.
But some people think that double cleansing is using a cleansing balm or a cleansing oil twice in a row and that’s it. Just like I was saying before, a water cleanser is necessary to remove all of that dirt and makeup, and just by using an oil or balm twice in a row, you really aren’t properly removing all of that dirt.
Do not go overboard with the scrubbing, and do not scrub too hard, as this can cause more harm than good. The scrubbing should be gentle enough to leave your skin feeling clean and soft.
It’s not just going to be better for your skin, but also for the overall experience.
Finally, here are a few products that I would like to recommend to you. If you buy something through one of these links, I get a small commission, at no extra cost to you.
My Favorite Products For Oil Cleansing
My favorite cleansing balm is the Living Cleansing Balm By Then I Met You. It’s like a mango smoothie for the face. This cleansing balm will leave your skin feeling soothed and nourished. It’s such a great experience, and I find myself going back to it over and over again.
The Neutrogena Hydro Boost Whipped Body Balm can be an affordable alternative.
- Neutrogena Hydro Boost Hydrating Whipped Body Balm brings advanced facial hydration expertise to body care, for intensely replenished soft, supple skin
- Ultra-light and velvety formula is fast absorbing and is powered by Hyaluronic Acid, skin's super hydrator capable of holding up to 1000x its weight in water and providing intense hydration to very dry skin. Is also suitable for sensitive skin.
- Use whipped body balm daily to give skin the boost of hydration it needs by helping it to maintain skin's moisture balance by continually releasing hydration and lock in skin-quenching hydration
- Moisturizing body balm was developed with dermatologists and continued use revitalizes the look and feel of your skin and visibly improves dry skin over time.
- Paraben-free balm absorbs instantly with a non-greasy feeling so you can get dressed immediately
Be aware that Polyethylene, one of the common ingredients of cleansing oils and balms, is a type of plastic that is commonly used in cosmetics and personal care products. Polyethylene is a plastic that is made from petroleum. It is not good for the environment and marine life.
My favorite cleansing oil is the iUNIK Calendula Complete Deep Cleansing Oil. This cleansing oil is made with sunflower seed oil, which is a high-quality cleansing oil. It really softens the skin, and I shall say that it smells a little of canola oil–the cooking oil–but it is really good for the skin.
- A cleansing infused with calendula extract and other natural oils that effectively removes makeup, dirt, and other impurities all at once.
- Formulated with 94% natural oils and formulated without harmful chemicals and ingredients that causes skin irritations and breakouts.
- This cleansing oil cleanses pores and strengthens skin barrier and moisturizes with the perfect blend of natural extracts.
- lREMOVES MAKEUP, SUNSCREEN, LIPSTICK, EYELINER COMPLETELY: iUNIK natural, organic oil cleanser removes trace of waterproof makeup and dissolve impurities from mascara, eyeliner and foundation. The makeup remover will deeply penetrate into pores to clean build-ups and prevent acnes & breakouts, pore enlargement and reduce blackheads. Revealing a healthy and fresh appearance.
- lHYDRATING, NOURISHING for FACE: iUNIK make up removing oil is an oil base cleanser which is formulated with non-irritating, alcohol free and natural ingredients, providing all day long moisturization. The moisturizing formula can be be absorbed deeply through the layers of skin without clogging pores or heavy feeling. The facial oil cleaner will help to restore hydration and healthy skin. EXPIRATION DATE NOTATION in YYYY.MM.DD format.
Here are some other tips on how to wash oily skin properly.
I hope this answered all of your questions. If you do have any more questions feel free to let me know in the comment section down below.